What are District and School Report Cards?
As part of the new state accountability system, reflected in Wisconsin’s approved ESEA Flexibility Request, the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) has produced report cards for every district and school in Wisconsin. These Report Cards provide data on multiple indicators for four Priority Areas:
- Student Achievement – performance on the WKCE and WAA-SwD in reading and mathematics
- Student Growth – improvement over time on the WKCE in reading and mathematics
- Closing Gaps – progress of student subgroups in closing gaps in reading and mathematics performance and/or graduation rates
- On-track and Postsecondary Readiness – performance on key indicators of readiness for graduation and postsecondary pursuits, whether college or career
Performance on three Student Engagement Indicators is also reported. These three indicators affect student success and school effectiveness.
- Test Participation Rate, with a goal of 95 percent test participation for all students and each subgroup.
- Absenteeism Rate, with a goal of 13 percent or less.
- Dropout Rate, with a goal of six percent or less.
A district's or school’s Overall Accountability Score places the district or school into one of five Overall Accountability Ratings:
- Significantly Exceeds Expectations
- Exceeds Expectations
- Meets Expectations
- Meets Few Expectations
- Fails to Meet Expectations
For more detailed information about the creation and scoring for the report cards see the resources listed below and additional information available on the accountability webpage.
What resources are available that explain the School Report Card?
In order to assist with building understanding and communicating about the School Report Cards, DPI created the following resources:
- What's New for 2013-14 (8/1/14)
- Report Card Summary (5 min video)
- Report Card Summary Prezi (no audio)
- What’s New in the Closing Gaps Calculation Prezi
- Report Cards At-a-Glance (8/1/14)
- Interpretive Guide 2014 (8/5/14)
- Report Card FAQ 2014 (8/5/14)
- School Report Card Technical Guide (8/20/14)
- District Report Card Technical Guide (8/20/14)
- Accountability Trainers by CESA and District
- 2013-14 District Report Card Data Download File - includes data from each district’s Report Card in the State
- 2013-14 School Report Card Data Download File - includes data from each school’s Report Card in the State
More information about Wisconsin’s new accountability system is available here: http://oea.dpi.wi.gov/accountability.
Questions and comments about the Public District and School Report Cards may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. DPI is committed to ongoing review of the new accountability system and your input is welcome.